Grose Wold Rural Fire Brigade History
The earliest formal indication of the existence of Grose Wold Brigade is a listing of Captains and Presidents dating back to 1936. Originally meetings were held at the old Grose Wold School. The Brigade moved in to the first Grose Wold shed in 1967. This was situated behind where the current station now stands.
In 1974 the shed was blown down in a wind storm, and the next shed was built. It was a single bay with enough room for the truck and not much else. The Brigade minutes inform us that on various occasions work was performed to improve the station, this being the addition of a toilet, storage area and a kitchen sink. On more than one occasion it also had a coat of paint applied to both inside and outside.
In 2002 the members undertook to build the new station. After much fund-raising and with the help of members and many businesses and trades people, the new station was opened on Saturday, 14th June, 2003. The new two-bay station includes a storeroom, fully equipped kitchen, bathroom and an upstairs office and planning room.
Since 1976 the Brigade has been issued with four tankers. From 1976-1995 a Bedford, followed by an Isuzu, Cat 2. In 2003 we received a more up-to-date Cat 2, and on 17th February, 2012 we received our latest brand new tanker, a Category 1 Isuzu with all the latest safety equipment, able to carry a crew of six.